Macondo revisited

Acá podrá opinar como le venga en gana seriamente. Sin ofensas personales. Para fajarse, se van a pugnas
Pelayo
Salvaje Universal
Salvaje Universal

Macondo revisited

Mensajepor Pelayo » Abril 22nd, 2013, 10:06 am

As he learns the language, young Carlos notes that his thinking is different in English, and that his new way of thinking alters his perception of the world. He is affected by the way in which his new language gives so much more choice and responsibility to the self than his native Spanish. In Eire’s example, if on the way to class one of your books falls to the ground, you would say in Spanish: “ Se me cayó el libro.” This construction is hard to translate since reflexive verb forms are rare in English. It would be something like: “The book dropped itself from me.”

In essence, the Spanish construction implies a shifting of responsibility and the conception of a victimized self. In contrast, the English composition would be one where responsibility is fully acknowledged as we would simply say: “I dropped my book.” We would say “the book fell” only if we had not been responsible for holding it.

With humor and wit Eire brings home the point: “Oh damn, the book had the nerve to fall from me. Damn book. Damn gravity. Poor me. If only the laws of gravity were different, I would not be having this problem.” What an insightful cultural contrast! In English it is our own fault that we dropped the book. In Spanish, the book dropped itself from our hands.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/21/3 ... rylink=cpy
Ubi bene ibi patria.

xana
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Tyrannosaurus Rex

Re: Macondo revisited

Mensajepor xana » Abril 22nd, 2013, 12:59 pm

Resumiendo, se puede hablar m....da en cualquier idioma :mrgreen:
Donde hay poca justicia, es un peligro tener razón. Francisco de Quevedo.

Volver a “DE TODO UN PACO”